Monday, April 3, 2017

Asterios Polyp 



This is a bizarre and random comic that I enjoyed for its single illustrations. It was very confusing to follow and at times was very hard to read. As an illustrator I noticed a very interesting stylization of the characters; they are very gestural and expressive. They were very well developed and we know a lot about the characters histories and how their lives play out; the best part of the story. I fully enjoyed the illustrations that did not have script with them. I thought they were good as stand alone illustrations. The silhouettes are very powerful and like the fact that they are not black. The illustrations were not always consistence with each other, at times reminded me of storyboards, and seemed rushed as well. The vintage color palette was very unique for the story. It made me feel like i was part of the dream world with the opal colors and subtle value changes. This story seems to take place when everything was very retro and old fashioned. The single illustrations on each page tends to break up the flow of the story. I think it is interesting of they were played out correctly and not have most of the white page invading the space of the illustrations. I would recommend this to people who enjoy very vintage and retro style comics.



No comments:

Post a Comment