Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Killing Joke

The Killing Joke (Deluxe hardcover edition - re-colored by the original artist Brian Bolland):

The Killing Joke from the master of comic writers Alan Moore comes a comic filled with entertainment, humor and action. I myself found this comic to be very fun to read and I enjoyed it very much. The story was well scripted, while the illustrations proved to be very graphic, stylized and dramatic adding expressiveness to the story. Also, I really enjoyed the flashbacks, which added more of the background character development of the Joker and how he came to be insane. I would continue to read this over and over. I really like the references of two face and poison Ivy towards the end of the story. I think those are two characters that are very interesting in the DC Universe and should have their own movies or at least play partial roles in the batman franchise. Overall, this story really gives me a sense of Batman's and The Jokers hateful relationship with one another.

When I began reading the comic it reminded me of the second movie in The Dark Knight franchise where Heath Ledgers Joker was in prison and Batman went in to talk to him. The scenes are very similar in their portrayal of what happened. The comic and movie version both portrayed the insanity going on in the Joker's mind. However, the deck of cards wasn't there, which would have been much more entertaining for the movie and would have taken it in another direction.

There are a couple changes I would make when I adopt this story into another medium. I would change the beginning scenes, which are kind of confusing and not composed very well. In the middle of the story when the man is chained and in the carnival I would show more of the environment. I would adapt this into a live-action featured film. I think with the DC Universe struggling with their movies recently I think this story could bring it back to life.To start, at the beginning of the comic the Insane Asylum looks very welcoming and not that terrifying and the illustrator only draws part of the building. I would have gone more menacing-looking and shown more of the complex instead of parts of it. Maybe the building is much bigger and it's on the top of hill and a grayish color to it. Also, if they had a scene at the beginning of the story showing the entire building on the hill that would give us more of an understanding of the environment we are going to. As for the middle of the story when we are at the carnival it would be nice to see more interesting angles and compositions. There are just a lot of compositions in this story that fall flat and I feel like could be shown in a more 3-Dimensional environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment